DIRECTOR OF MUSIC MINISTRY
Job Summary: Shavertown United Methodist Church seeks an enthusiastic part-time Director of Music Ministry to provide spiritual enrichment through music. The director will collaborate with various individuals, groups and committees within the church. The Director of Music Ministry must be forward thinking and work flexibly with diverse populations and a variety of musical styles.
To apply please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Robert Bullock, Chair of Staff Pastor-Parish Relations at email@example.com
Deadline to apply is June 10, 2019 with an anticipated start date of mid-August 2019.
Spiritual and Personal Qualifications: Have a committed, growing personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Make disciples in one’s area of ministry. Live by and support the mission and ministry of the Shavertown United Methodist Church through prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness.
Preferred Education/Experience: Experience directing various church music ensembles and the ability to work with ministry volunteers of all ages and of varying musical ability. Gifted organist and pianist with the ability to sight read. Academic musical preparation is desired, but not required.
Working Relationships: Works in close cooperation with Pastor and works closely with all staff and members of the church as related to the music ministry. Reports to Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee (SPPRC) through their liaison.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate schedule and oversee all musical groups and special music for services throughout the year. Responsible for playing organ/piano at regularly scheduled Sunday worship (currently 9:30am) and once a month at the Saturday worship (5:30pm). The Director is responsible for finding volunteers to provide music for remaining Saturday services and during their absence on Sunday mornings (i.e. vacations).
- Direct/Supervise and Accompany weekly rehearsals and warm-ups before worship for the following choirs: Chancel Choir, Praise Ringers, Chapel Chimes, God’s Handful, God’s Tintinnabulators, Cherubs and Children of Light. Accompanying other musicians may require additional rehearsal time.
- Select Music to compliment worship themes and order new music as needed within budget guidelines.
- Secure contract musicians and guest artists for special worship occasions adhering to the budget.
- Communicate regularly with the pastor and church staff regarding music selections. Submit all music details for weekly worship bulletin.
- Identify and Recruit new members to share vocal and instrumental talents. Maintain a contact list of all choir members and substitutes.
- Develop and monitor a procurement and maintenance schedule for the music program properties, including the music library, robes, pianos, organ, hand bells, sound systems and other instruments and equipment.
- Weddings and Funerals: The DoMM may provide wedding, wedding rehearsal, and funeral music by special arrangement (additional honorarium). The DoMM shall have the right of first refusal to play for memorial services/funerals, weddings. Refer to the church’s wedding information policy for current fees.
- Special Events: Willingness to participate and consult in events that would include the Children’s Christmas Musical and seasonal concerts.
- Participate in church meetings as required.
- Prepare annual music ministry budget requests.
- Additional responsibilities associated with this position will be identified and evaluated by the Pastor and SPPRC.
Terms of Employment
- Hours: Part time position requiring approximately 20+ hours per week, the majority of which to be worked at church.
- Salary: Negotiable, consistent with candidate’s education, experience and skill level. There shall be an annual evaluation for this position. Salaries are reviewed by the SPPRC each fall and voted on by the Annual Charge Conference, to go into effect January 1st each year.
- Benefits: Four weeks paid vacation (rehearsals and worship services), excluding significant church holidays. All requests for vacation time must be approved by the pastor. Life insurance provided by SUMC after one year.
- Accountability: The DoMM shall meet all requirements for Safe Sanctuaries.