The Shavertown United Methodist Church received its charter in 1890. It was founded by six local men who pledged themselves and their means to Christian work. They believed their community should have a formal place of worship. For 13 years, services were held in a one-room schoolhouse on a site where a fast food restaurant now stands. In 1891 a new circuit of the Methodist Church which included Shavertown was formed.
Fund raising began throughout the circuit and in 1893, a parsonage, where the present SUMC parsonage stands, was built. By 1903 a cornerstone was laid and the first Shavertown Methodist Church building was in place. As the village of Shavertown grew, so did the church until the church had outgrown its original building. So, in March of 1928 construction began on a new church building. On March 24, 1929 the new church building was dedicated. Through continued growth in the congregation and an increase in church programs, Shavertown Methodist ceased to be a circuit and became an appointment in 1943. Through depression and World War, the church continued under a changing leadership to expand. Finally, in 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with The Methodist Church and we became the Shavertown United Methodist Church. The 1970s brought stability and further growth. Donations of land and monies over the years brought the current configuration of church property into being.
The 1980s and 1990s brought a period of reorganization. The focus was the development of an even stronger leadership committed to continued growth and discipleship in our church and in the community.
Today, the Shavertown United Methodist Church continues to be a viable Christian witness in the community and beyond. We strive to glorify God in all we do; and seek to grow together in our own discipleship and invite others along on the journey.
With God’s help and by His grace, we move forward into the future!